- 1/2 cup quartered dried black Mission figs (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons grated orange peel, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup (scant) hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 14 standard paper muffin baking cups
Cook first 5 ingredients and 1 teaspoon orange peel in heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat until liquid forms thick syrup that coats figs, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat; mix in cinnamon, remaining 1/4 teaspoon orange peel, and nuts.
Melt chocolate in microwave-safe bowl on medium power until melted and warm to touch, stopping once to stir, about 1 1/2 minutes. Arrange paper cups on rimmed baking sheet. Spoon 1 mounded teaspoon chocolate onto bottom of each paper cup. Tap baking sheet on work surface to spread chocolate over bottom of cups. Top center of each with about 1 mounded teaspoon fig mixture. Chill until firm, about 1 hour. Peel off paper. Let chocolates stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.