- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons finely grated peeled ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup organic peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)*
- 1 13-1/2- to 14-ounce can organic light coconut milk
- 3 kaffir lime leaves or 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice and 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
- 1 tablespoon (firmly packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 14-ounce packages organic firm tofu, drained, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups 1/4- to 1/3-inch-thick slices peeled carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, ginger, and garlic; cook until shallots are tender, about 6 minutes. Add peanut butter, turmeric, cumin, and chili paste; stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in 1 cup water, then coconut milk, lime leaves, and brown sugar; bring to simmer. Season sauce with salt. Add tofu, carrots, and bell pepper; simmer over medium heat until carrots are tender, adjusting heat to medium-low if beginning to boil and occasionally stirring gently, about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt. DO AHEAD Can be made 3 days ahead. Cool slightly, cover, and chill. Rewarm over medium heat before serving.
* Available in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets and at Asian markets.